There was a time when hip replacement surgery meant spending a week or more in the hospital, followed by a lengthy and sometimes difficult recovery. At CHI Saint Joseph Health, we offer the latest, most minimally invasive techniques to help you get back much faster to your active lifestyle.
One of our board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons can help determine if hip replacement or another treatment is right for you. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 859.313.2255. Find an orthopedic provider online.
Anterior Hip: Get Moving Again Sooner
Older hip replacement methods required large incisions and detaching key muscles and tendons, resulting in more trauma. CHI Saint Joseph Health surgeons specialize in newer techniques like the direct anterior approach, allowing them to reach the hip from the front side, so the joint can be replaced without damaging nearby muscles or tendons.
For you, that may offer a variety of benefits, including:
- Less Pain: The post-operative experience is usually much easier.
- Less Scarring: The surgery requires just a single, relatively small incision.
- Fewer Restrictions: Most patients have significantly greater mobility and range of motion immediately following surgery and can bear full weight when it feels comfortable. It is not uncommon for people to begin ther recovery exercises within a few days of the procedure.
- Shorter Hospital Stay: You may even be able to go home the same day as surgery.
- Quicker Reocvery: Most patients recover and return to full function faster than traditional hip replacement.
- Decreased Risk of Dislocation: A common concern for hip replacements is that the new ball and socket will fall out of place. Because the anterior hip technique does not bother surrounding tissue, you're much less likely to experience dislocation or other complications.