Healthy Change Starts Here
The journey to a healthier you can be hard, especially when constant dieting and other weight loss programs just haven’t delivered. Sometimes, it means getting the right medical care and hands-on support you need for lasting success.
Weight Loss Surgery at Flaget Memorial Hospital has helped thousands of people throughout Central Kentucky reclaim their health and lives. Our board-certified surgeon, Dr. Robert Farrell, performs a full range of weight loss procedures, using the most minimally invasive techniques available for less pain and faster recovery.
And our program isn’t just about weight loss. Bariatric surgery can help reduce or reverse diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and acid reflux (GERD). Our patients also benefit from less joint pain, better sleep, more confidence and the freedom to live an active and healthier life.
Call 502.443.1824 or register here for a free weight loss surgery seminar near you. Together, we’ll explore a variety of options and see if you may be a candidate.
Total Support for Your Journey
Whichever option is right for you, you’ll find everything you need to succeed:
- Dedicated team: From your initial consultation through our pre-operative program, surgery and follow-up care, you have a team of weight loss experts by your side. That includes a pre-operative/insurance coordinator who schedules all required program steps and manages insurance coverage, requirements, submission and approval for surgery; a registered dietitian for personalized nutritional counseling; psychological support; a physician assistant; and of course, an experienced, board-certified surgeon to provide care for the whole you.
- Pre-surgery education: Weight loss surgery is the start of a lifelong commitment to health, and we’re here to help you prepare with confidence. Dr. Farrell and your care team will walk through what to expect before, during and after your procedure, as well as answer any and all questions. Prior to surgery, we also offer a healthy living class to help you make and maintain important lifestyle changes.
- Pre-operative program: Our specially designed program ensures you are medically stable to undergo bariatric surgery, and takes approximately three months to complete. It includes, but is not limited to, the following steps:
1. Psychological evaluation
2. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
3. Laboratory panel
4. Cardiac clearance
5. Nutrition evaluation
6. Healthy Lifestyle Class
7. Attendance at one support group meeting
8. Supervised medical weight loss with your primary care physician (typically three to six months depending on insurance requirements)
9. Sleep study (unless you are already diagnosed with a sleep disorder)
10. Pulmonary clearance (only if indicated with your medical history or insurance)
- Lifelong care: Life after surgery can be a challenge, both physically and emotionally, as you adjust to new habits and routines. Our after-care program offers continued dietary and lifestyle counseling. We also host monthly support groups focused on your total well-being—mind, body and soul.
- Compassionate setting: As a community-focused hospital, you can count on warm, personalized care every step of the way. We’re here to lean on, and cheer you on, as you discover what’s possible for your health and life.
For more information about any of our life-changing programs, call 502.350.5493 or contact our weight loss team.