Around-the-Clock Emergency Services
- 24/7 coverage by board-certified or board-eligible emergency medicine physicians
- Registered nurses with specialized training and certifications, including CEN (Certified Emergency Nurse), ACLS (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support), PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) and CPR
- On-call access to our nationally recognized neurosurgeons and pulmonologists, as well as specialists in cardiology, gastroenterology, orthopedic surgery and more to meet your needs
- Onsite lab and advanced imaging services to quickly diagnose serious conditions
- 24/7 cardiac catheterization lab for rapid treatment of heart attacks
- Brand new, remodeled, state of the art cardiothoracic vascular unit (CVU)
- 24/7 mental health counseling if you or a loved one are in crisis
- Stabilization of critical care injuries and transfer to nearby trauma centers
- Private registration and triage areas for convenience and privacy
- All-private rooms to maximize comfort for you and your family
- Bedside electrocardiogram (EKG) for up-to-the-minute heart monitoring
Patient Resource Center
After your visit to the emergency room, it’s often recommended that you follow up with your primary care provider to ensure that your treatment and healing process stay on track. If you don’t have a primary care provider, we’ll connect you with our Patient Resource Center located in our Emergency Department at Saint Joseph Hospital.
Open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., the Patient Resource Center will work closely with you and your family to assist in making this vital connection between patient and primary care provider. A member of our team will:
- Assist in finding a primary care provider or family doctor based on your unique needs
- Schedule needed follow-up appointments determined at discharge
- Help with the completion of new patient paperwork for your first follow up appointment
- Connect you to valuable resources like the Wound Care Center and Diabetes Care Center, if applicable
Advanced Primary Stroke Center
When it comes to stroke, getting fast, coordinated care can be the difference between life and death, total independence and permanent disability. At Saint Joseph Hospital, we’ve earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for making that care a priority. The distinction recognizes our ability to save more lives and improve long-term outcomes for all patients, while continually seeking new, faster and more effective treatments.
Nationally Accredited Chest Pain Center
Saint Joseph Hospital is fully accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC) for our speed and skill in caring for patients with heart attack symptoms and other cardiac emergencies. Our proven protocols allow physicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack—greatly improving outcomes. We’re also able to better monitor patients when it’s unclear if they’re experiencing a coronary event, which ensures they’re neither sent home too early nor needlessly admitted to the hospital.
STEMI (Heart Attack) Receiving Center
Working closely with Lexington-area emergency response teams, we provide coordinated, rapid-response care to people with signs of the most severe heart attack, known as STEMI (ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction). Upon receiving the call to alert that a STEMI is en-route to the facility, the cardiac catheterization team is activated. This system allows us to drastically reduce the time from the first symptoms to treatment—saving many more lives in the process.