Saint Joseph Mount Sterling to Host Organ Donor Registry Event - Archived


SaintJosephMountSterling.png


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For More Information:
Christi Henderson, Marketing Representative
859.497.5017
[email protected]


Saint Joseph Mount Sterling to Host Organ Donor Registry Event
Organ donation can save the lives of nearly 1,000 Kentuckians on transplant waiting list


Mt. Sterling, Ky. (June 25, 2015)—Registering as an organ donor is one of the simplest ways to help save a life. Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates (KODA) will host an organ donor registry event at Saint Joseph Mount Sterling, part of KentuckyOne Health, on Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10 a.m.

The event will feature a Gift of Life quilt display, information about organ donation and refreshments. A mobile photo booth will also tour various units of Saint Joseph Mount Sterling.

According to Donate Life, on average 18 people will die every day from the lack of available organs for transplant.

“While one donor can provide organs, bone and tissue for up to 50 people in need, more than 120,000 people in the United States –1,000 in Kentucky alone – are still in need of a lifesaving organ transplant,” said Benny Nolen, president, Saint Joseph Mount Sterling. “We are proud to collaborate with KODA on a this event and encourage our friends, neighbors and employees to join the organ donor registry.”

Deceased donors are able to provide patients with kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart and intestinal organs, as well as soft tissue, corneas and more. Living donors can offer vital organs such as kidneys, or a portion of the liver, lung, intestine or pancreas.

KODA, a non-profit, educational and organ and tissue procurement agency, expedites all lifesaving transplants in the state of Kentucky. The organization works throughout the state to evaluate organ/tissue suitability; coordinate organ and tissue recovery; manage organ placement; provide family support and aftercare; educate hospital staff members and facilitate public education.

In Kentucky, more than 1.5 million people, 43 percent of Kentuckians, are registered organ donors. For the remaining 57 percent, becoming an organ donor is as easy as visiting DonateLifeKY.org or signing up while renewing a driver’s license.

About KentuckyOne Health
KentuckyOne Health, the largest and most comprehensive health system in the Commonwealth, has more than 200 locations including, hospitals, physician groups, clinics, primary care centers, specialty institutes and home health agencies in Kentucky and southern Indiana. KentuckyOne Health is dedicated to bringing wellness, healing and hope to all, including the underserved.  The system is made up of the former Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare and Saint Joseph Health System, along with the University of Louisville Hospital and James Graham Brown Cancer Center. KentuckyOne Health is proud of and strengthened by its Catholic, Jewish and academic heritages.

Publish Date: 

Thursday, June 25, 2015