For More Information:
Barbara Mackovic, Senior Manager, Media Relations
502.587.4230 or 502.641.5461
Frazier Rehab Institute Hosts “Walk to Victory Over Paralysis”
Event benefits Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network®
Along with other centers in the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network (NRN) across the U.S., Frazier Rehab Institute, part of KentuckyOne Health, will participate in the second annual Walk to Victory over Paralysis, a walkathon fundraising event to rally support and fundraising for the Reeve Foundation and Frazier Rehab Institute through the Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s Foundation.
To demonstrate the importance and impact of the NRN, individuals living with a spinal cord injury will also participate with the assistance of a body weight support treadmill (BWST). BWST is part of locomotor training in which participants are supported by a harness and suspended over a treadmill, while specially trained therapists move their legs to simulate walking.
WHAT: Patients and supporters Walk to Victory Over Paralysis
WHERE: Frazier Rehab Institute
11th floor gym
220 Abraham Flexner Way
WHEN: Saturday, October 24, 2015
10 a.m. Remarks from patients and staff
• Interviews with Tom Morris, former Frazier Rehab Patient and his friend, Jason Dierking, who founded the Frazier Rehab Ironman Housing Fund to help offset the cost of housing and transportation for Frazier Rehab patients
• Interviews with Julia Carstanjen, former Frazier Rehab Patient
• Interviews with Susan J. Harkema, PhD, NeuroRecovery Network Director for the Reeve Foundation, Director of Research at Frazier Rehab Institute, Professor and Rehabilitation Research Director at the University of Louisville Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center and Owsley B. Frazier Chair in Clinical Rehabilitation Research
• Interviews with Andrea Behrman, PhD, PT, FAPTA, professor, department of neurological surgery, co-director, Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, executive director, University of Louisville Kosair Charities Center for Pediatric NeuroRecovery
• B-roll of spinal cord injury patients walking on body-weight support treadmill
• B-roll of able bodied supporters and fundraisers walking alongside SCI patients
Special appearances and times:
9 a.m. Churchill Downs Bugler
For more information about the NRN and to donate to a Walk to Victory over Paralysis, please visit: https://victoryoverparalysis.org/.