For More Information:
David McArthur, Senior Manager, Media Relations
502.562.7016 or 502.648.3411
Saint Joseph Hospital Among Nation’s Best in Stroke Care
Only hospital in Kentucky to be recognized with this award
Lexington, Ky. (August 28, 2017) – Saint Joseph Hospital, part of KentuckyOne Health, announced today that it has been recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for Stroke Care in 2017. Healthgrades is a leading online resource helping consumers make informed decisions about physicians, hospitals and comprehensive care.
As one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care, Saint Joseph Hospital is among the top 5 percent of hospitals nationwide for treatment of stroke and is Kentucky’s only hospital to be recognized with this award. Healthgrades evaluated nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 34 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions*. Healthgrades identified the 100 best-performing hospitals across all conditions or procedures evaluated within neurosciences. Saint Joseph Hospital is also the only hospital in Kentucky to be recognized with the 2017 Neurosciences Excellence Award.
“It’s an honor to be recognized as one of the nation’s best for stroke care,” said Bruce Tassin, president, Saint Joseph Hospital. “Our team continues to focus on evidence based practices to ensure our community receives the high quality care that defines Saint Joseph Hospital.”
The achievement is part of findings released in the Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation. The report demonstrates how clinical performance continues to differ dramatically between hospitals nationally, regionally and at the local level, and the impact that this variation may have on health outcomes.
Healthgrades also recognized Saint Joseph Hospital for the following awards:
· Neurosciences Excellence (2017) – Top 10 percent in United States
· Pulmonary Care Excellence (2016-17) – Top 5 percent in United States
· Gastrointestinal Care Excellence (2017) – Top 10 percent in United States
· Five-Star rated treatments:
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Small Intestine Surgeries
Treatment of GI Bleed
About Saint Joseph Hospital
Saint Joseph Hospital, part of KentuckyOne Health, is nationally recognized tertiary medical center located in Lexington, KY. The 433-bed hospital primary serves central and eastern Kentucky with a full range of services including distinguished awards for cardiology, orthopedics and stroke care. Saint Joseph Hospital is Lexington’s first hospital. Founded in 1877, by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky, the hospital’s original mission was to provide compassionate care to the poor and underserved – a tradition still carried out today.
About KentuckyOne Health
KentuckyOne Health, one of the largest and most comprehensive health systems in the Commonwealth, includes hospitals, physician groups, clinics, primary care centers, specialty institutes and home health agencies in Kentucky and southern Indiana. KentuckyOne Health is dedicated to bringing wellness, healing and hope to all, including the underserved.
* For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 32 common conditions and procedures, as well as an evaluation of comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 18 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected) categories. The complete Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation and detailed study methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.