Saint Joseph London is part of CHI Saint Joseph Health. Saint Joseph London is a 120-bed hospital treating patients from southeastern Kentucky including those from Clay, Laurel, Jackson and Whitley counties. Recognized by US News and World Report for COPD and Heart Failure care, Saint Joseph London also provides extensive services in oncology, orthopedics, diabetes, imaging, surgery, emergency and maternity care.
The 340B prescription drug program is a vital lifeline for safety-net providers, supporting vital health services in our communities. The program is narrowly tailored to reach only hospitals that provide a high level of services to low-income individuals or that serve isolated rural communities. Significantly more 340B hospitals provide money-losing vital health services than non-340B hospitals, which include trauma centers, labor and delivery services, HIV-AIDS services, and immunizations.
- Uncompensated Care: $9.6 million
- Community Benefit: $48.6 million
(charity care + uncompensated care + community programs)
Benefits of the 340B Program
- The Outpatient Infusion Centers which provide comprehensive cancer care and chemotherapy infusion services in the patient’s home community.
- The off-site cardiology clinics which allow Saint Joseph London to provide service as the only hospital in southeastern Kentucky to be accredited by ACE™ for cardiac catheterization and percutaneous coronary intervention.
- 340B Savings: $4.3 million
- Approximate DHS percentage: 31.3%
Impact if the program is scaled back
- Saint Joseph London provides a plethora of community health improvement services which would be cut without 340B resources.
- Pharmacists working in ambulatory areas who are volatile for achieving improved patient outcomes and reducing readmission would be scaled back