Saint Joseph East is part of CHI Saint Joseph Health. Saint Joseph East is a 217 licensed bed community hospital located in Lexington, KY. Nationally recognized for Pulmonary and Women’s care, we also provide services in cardiovascular, oncology infusion, ambulatory surgery and 24-hour emergency care. Saint Joseph East providers and staff perform care for roughly 150,000 patient visits each year.
The 340B Drug Pricing Program helps CHI Saint Joseph Health hospitals stretch scarce health care dollars and deliver high quality health care services to vulnerable patient populations, including low-income, uninsured, underinsured and homeless patients, as well as those living in rural communities. We provide comprehensive medical services to all patients, including a full spectrum of inpatient services, surgical services, and outpatient services such as Emergency Medicine, Cancer Care, Infusion Services, and Hospice and Palliative Care. The 340B Program has allowed CHI Saint Joseph Health to expand access to care, cover expensive copays, and provide expensive medications free of cost, while focusing on safe, cost-effective care that results in improved patient outcomes.
- Uncompensated Care: $9.6 million
- Community Benefit: $48.7 million
(charity care + uncompensated care + community programs)
Benefits of the 340B Program
- The Outpatient Infusion Center which provides comprehensive cancer care, chemotherapy and non-oncology infusion services in the patient’s home community.
- A pharmacist providing direct patient care in an ambulatory clinic to improve medication outcomes.
- Uncompensated care provided to improve the health of our community.
- 340B Savings: $12.8 million
- Approximate DHS percentage: 27%
Impact if the program is scaled back
- Saint Joseph East provides a plethora of community health improvement services which would be cut without 340B resources.
- Pharmacists working in ambulatory areas who are volatile for achieving improved patient outcomes and reducing readmission would be scaled back