Emergency Services Shadowing Program Duties:
The Emergency Services Shadowing Program has been designed to give you a detailed experience in three very different Emergency Departments. When you have complete the shadowing program you will have earned 18 hours of service, and you will have the opportunity to become a traditional volunteer at either Saint Joseph East or Saint Joseph Jessamine.
Please Note: You will be shadowing an ED TECH.
Please do not arrive at these locations and tell the staff you are there to shadow a doctor. If you do so, they will send you home.
You will shadow at each of these locations in no particular order:
Saint Joseph Hospital Emergency Department (Harrodsburg Road):
Shadowing shifts are available Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday
Shadowing shift are 6 hours in length and can be scheduled from 9:00am-3:00pm, 10:00am-4:00pm, and 11:00am-5:00pm.
Saint Joseph East Emergency Department (Richmond Road):
Shadowing shifts are available Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday
Shadowing shift are 6 hours in length from 9:00am-3:00pm.
Saint Joseph Jessamine Ambulatory Center (Nicholasville):
Shadowing shifts are available Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday.
Shadowing shift are 6 hours in length and can be scheduled from 10:00am-4:00pm, 11:00am-5:00pm, 12:00pm - 6:00pm, 1:00pm - 7:00pm, 2:00pm - 8:00pm.
BE SURE TO:
Wear comfortable shoes (preferably tennis shoes)
Bring a lock for the locker (if you prefer to store your belongings in a locker)
Wear solid color pants (no denim) and a polo shirt
When you arrive, check in with charge nurse in Emergency Department.
Make the effort to seek out tasks to perform in down time
YOU CAN EXPECT TO:
Be introduced to an ED tech that you will follow during your shift
Become acclimated to the ED Department and its multiple functions
Meet several ED staff members that may ask for assistance during your shift
View ER procedures when available and appropriate
Perform the following tasks: interact with patients and guests, transport patients on stretchers or in wheelchairs, clean rooms, assist with paperwork, etc.
Upon completion of these 3 shadowing shifts, you may request traditional volunteer hours at in the Saint Joseph Jessamine or Saint Joseph East Emergency Departments (traditional volunteer shifts will not be available at Saint Joseph Hospital.) Volunteer shifts are traditionally 3 hours and schedules are flexible.
Qualifications: All shadowers are required to complete a general volunteer orientation, and submit to a background check.
Adequate conversational English is required in order that the individual be able to take direction, understand how to complete job tasks, communicate adequately with patients and co-workers as necessary, understand and follow safety guidelines and understand the volunteer handbook and all hospital policies.
You may be exposed to blood, body tissues or fluids, hazardous waste materials, sudden fluctuations in temperature, outside weather radiation, toxins, poisonous substances, dust, chemicals, bodily injury, and loud or unpleasant noises.
Locations: A shadowing shift will be performed at each of the following locations:
- Saint Joseph Hospital Emergency Room
One Saint Joseph Drive
Lexington, KY 40504
- Saint Joseph East Emergency Room
150 N. Eagle Creek Drive
Lexington, KY 40509
- Saint Joseph Jessamine Ambulatory Center
1250 Keene Road
Nicholasville, KY 40356
Minimum age: 18
Step #1: Click here to apply to participate in the Emergency Room Shadowing Program
Step #2: Complete the Volunteer/Shadower Orientation - Click on Volunteer/Shadower Orientation in the column to the left and complete all of the items on the page.
Step #3: Complete these forms
Step #4: Gather the medical requirements
- Proof of current immunizations meeting CHI Saint Joseph Health requirements.
- TWO TB skin test results or the results of a T-Spot from within the past year (If you do not have the results of two recent TB tests or a T-Spot, you are responsible for getting this done on your own).
- Proof of Mandatory Flu Vaccination (October - April) - your documentation should include:
- You name and date of birth
- The type of vaccine given
- The date of the injection
- The signature of the person who gave you the injection
Step #5: When you have completed and gathered all of the items indicated above, please call the Volunteer Office and arrange a time to turn in your paperwork, schedule your shadow dates, and have a badge made. (859) 313-1290.
Step #6: Prior to shadowing, you will need provide consent for a criminal background check. This consent may be given in any way deemed appropriate by the third party administering the criminal background check. Criminal background checks will include:
- Social Security Number trace
- OIG/GSA Excluded Parties check
- National Sex Offender Registry check
- State criminal search
- Criminal felony & misdemeanor search
Step #7: Complete your shadowing, report your hours to the Volunteer Office, and turn in your badge.
- The ED Job Shadowing candidate must be at least 18 years of age.
- The Job Shadower will submit all the required forms to Volunteer Services.
- The returned forms will be kept on file by Volunteer Services for a period of one year.
- The Job Shadower will wear a CHI Saint Joseph Health ID Badge while on site and will return the to the Volunteer Office when observation period has ended.
- The Job Shadowing candidate will be under the direct supervision and responsibility of the assigned CHI Saint Joseph Health employee.
- The CHI Saint Joseph Health employee will ensure the Job Shadower complies with all departmental and organizational standards.
- The CHI Saint Joseph Health employee will work to ensure a positive educational experience while always maintaining the needs of the patients as first priority.
- At the discretion of the CHI Saint Joseph Health employee, the Job Shadowing experience may be ended at any time prior to the scheduled conclusion. Reasons for ending the experience may include but are not limited to:
- Patient care needs.
- Refusal or unwillingness of Job Shadower to comply with organizational and/or departmental standards.
- Refusal or unwillingness of Job Shadower to comply with requests and direction of CHI Saint Joseph Health employee.
- Business needs and demands warrant the experience to end.