CHI Saint Joseph Health is offering senior nursing students a paid, summer nine-week externship.
A nine-week summer work experience that will allow you to gain in-depth understanding of the role of the Registered Nurse in clinical practice at one of our facilities.
At CHI Saint Joseph Health, our Nurse Extern Program will give you the opportunity to apply the knowledge you have gained in your academic program to the hands-on clinical setting. You will benefit from the expertise of specialized nursing staff and work with diverse patient populations. We have many exciting clinical opportunities that will give you a “head start” on your senior year and as you begin your career in nursing.
How the Program Works
- Your externship will include
- an assignment at a CHI Saint Joseph Health facility in your area
- Program Dates: May 20, 2019 - July 20, 2019
- At the completion of the program, we will have a celebration in honor of your success!
Our Nurse Extern Program strives to help participants:
- Increase patient care management, organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrate greater proficiency with clinical skills
- Experience professional growth and increased self-confidence in caring for patients
Applicant must be:
- Enrolled in an accredited school of nursing and participate in the program the summer before graduation
- Must be actively enrolled in either BSN or ADN programs, in good academic standing, with a projected graduation date thru June 2020
- Able to meet CHI Saint Joseph Health job-related requirements
- Certified in Basic Life Support
- Must submit two letters of recommendation from academic faculty
- Cannot be contracted to a non-CHI Saint Joseph Health facility after graduation
- Must be able to work 40-hour orientation during week one of the program
- Will work 36 hours a week for remainder of the program
The CHI Saint Joseph Health Nurse Extern Program pairs the nurse extern with an experienced RN preceptor to work side-by-side caring for a specific patient population while having the opportunity to shadow other care specialties.
Additional clinical education and professional development activities will be provided. There is also the possibility of continued work opportunities in part-time or relief positions at the end of the program.
Summer Externs have the opportunity to:
- Work one-on-one with an RN completing assessments, performing treatments and procedures,and learning about medication administration and charting standards.
- Choose a nursing area of interest, including Women’s Care, Medical/Surgical, Intensive Care, Emergency, Rehabilitation (Adult or Pediatric), or Psychiatric Care
- Opportunity for PRIORITY job placement upon RN graduation
- On-line applications will be accepted January 2, 2019 through April 1, 2019.
- Submit an unofficial transcript from the school registrar with the application
- Submit a resume with cover letter and two letters of reference from clinical instructors. The cover letter must indicate your top three facility and areas of care requests. We will make every effort to accommodate one of these placement options
- Questions may be submitted to:
150 N. Eagle Creek Drive
Lexington, Kentucky 40509 Attention: Tonya Brock
or by email: TonyaBrock@sjhlex.org 859.967.5948
CHISaintJosephHealth.org/NurseExtern Position #: 1800001347